for the love of you, booger breath

I write to save my sanity and help me sort my thoughts and feelings all out.  Often times when I write about my children, it’s out of sheer anger, frustration or confusion.  Well this weekend was BigBoy’s 5th birthday. So I wanted to write about him and the complete love I have in my heart.

For those friends and family that have known me for a long time you know that children were never on my horizon.  It was just simply that I wasn’t interested.  Babies, never mind kids, never really took to me.  The feelings that I had for children were that they were loud and messy (that really hasn’t changed).  As a teen, I didn’t love babysitting, I did it for the money.  I just wasn’t born with that “I-love-babies! gene” like some women are.

But then I met Husband.  Not having kids was a deal breaker for him.  Doing the deed was a part of the deal.  I knew that marrying him meant travelling the uncharted, unimagined road of parenting and motherhood.  After an ass grab, a brief international romance, and throwing my doubts to the wind, I knew that I wanted to grow old with this man.  He was solid, clear-hearted, and just a little bit crazy to want to marry me.  So I said yes knowing full well what I was signing up for.

After being married a few years, we got pregnant and had BigBoy.  Motherhood terrified me.  I didn’t have post partum depression, I had pre-partum depression.  I knew my life would be forever changed and I mourned the loss of me and life-as-I-knew-it.  The birth didn’t go as planned and we had some early minor complications in the first few months of BigBoy’s life.  I didn’t swell with love when he was born.  I never really enjoyed breast feeding and loathed pumping.  We weren’t bonding the way Mother and child were (what I thought) supposed to.  I did however eventually find joy, friendships, and how to have fun mothering when I joined a playgroup for first-time moms through Golden Gate Mothers Group.  I learned to relax and laugh again.  I loved those ladies even though many of us were so very different.  We had this common bond of learning to be mothers together and through sharing and laughing in our struggles, I found me again and being okay with my way of being a mom.

BigBoy was never a cuddler and had always preferred his Daddy over me (don’t worry, I understand why).  And life with BigBoy was fun, and good, but I had some big disappointments with being a Mom.  I still felt like there was a bond missing and I didn’t think my son liked me all that much.  It didn’t feel like we were well-connected.  It wasn’t until Baby was born (BigBoy was 3) that I really found babylove.  Baby taught me the over abundance of love and to love BigBoy and our relationship just the way it is.  Nothing really was broken, I just learned how to love in a bigger and new way.  That was a great lesson to learn.

BigBoy Oct 2009But things changed even more (and for the better) this last year.  Being let go from work was the best gift I had ever received.  I have fallen completely in love with BigBoy.  I have been blessed with the opportunity to really get to see him, know him and learn the kind of kid that he is and is becoming.

He now gives me “hurt hugs.”  It’s his way of squeezing me so tight that it’s supposed to hurt.  He regularly says that he loves me 1 million, hundred thousand and sixty eight.

I love to look in his face.  I can so clearly see the combination of me and Husband.  There’s no doubt that this child was born out of love.

I love to wrestle with him, tickle him, make him laugh, snuggle during movies, read to him at night and tuck him into bed.  I love that he talks to himself with intricate stories about planes, garbage trucks, race cars and trains.  (Sometimes though I think this must be what it’s like having a girl with the incessant talking!)

He’s down right funny, has an incredible passion for learning, and has a sweet heart (just like his Daddy).  He’s a nice boy, has manners and a few close friends.  Even with all the fear and doubts I have had, I know now that overall I’m doing a good job as a mother.  He’s a great kid and I know he’s going to turn out alright.

Happy 5th Birthday BigBoy.  I’m so very proud of you.  You are an awesome little boy and I’m so glad to be your Mommy.

Cheers to you!

11 Responses to for the love of you, booger breath
  1. johnny
    January 26, 2010 | 7:02 pm

Jen, what a beautiful post! He is getting so big, I’m happy that you and the family are well. Happy Birthday to the big boy! =)

2. Chris
    January 27, 2010 | 2:56 am

<3 :)

3. Jen Hibbits
    January 27, 2010 | 8:55 am

Thanks Johnny for taking the time to read the blog and write a comment. I know y’all are busy over there!

4. Jen Hibbits
    January 27, 2010 | 8:59 am

Thanks Chris! I love that you read my blog. xoxo

5. steph
    January 27, 2010 | 1:52 pm

ditto…what jen marcum said!!!

6. Jackie Davis Lohn
    January 27, 2010 | 9:44 pm

Jen…you are a fabulous Mom…Ive seen you in action! You will find ways to love those boys in ways that you’ve never even considered yet! Have confidence…you are awesome! I luv ya cuz!!!

7. lola
    February 24, 2010 | 8:14 pm

I can totally relate to you on this post and I am so grateful that you wrote so openly and honestly. As a mother myself it is hard sometimes to admit that we might not be the most perfect mother all the time. I too have a son I have had my doubts about our relationship and if I am doing a good job. But when your child is loved by others and praised of what a wonderful child he is, you really know that you have done something right! And if your child is a happy child then gosh darn it you have succeded!

8. Lynne Illsley
    March 17, 2010 | 5:49 am

Hi Jen,
    You are doing a great job and I enjoyed reading this blog. I too did not take to the breast feeding and only lasted one week. My “One and Only” was not a cuddler either…but I know she loves both me and Dad. Each child in the world is different and thank God for that. Throw out all the child books and go from the “heart”. Here is a bit of advise that my doctor told me years ago and I agree with it. If a child is misbehaving and you say that “if you do not stop doing (insert whatever) you will have to go to your room or no ice cream or no TV etc and if they continue doing whatever, it is extremely important that you follow through with the punishment…otherwise they run the family, not you.

Sidenote…my eyes are old eyes and I find it hard to read the blogs…the green seems to be overpowering the letters…they seem to blend into the background rather than pop out.

Love Lynne

9. Jen Hibbits
    March 17, 2010 | 7:27 am

Hi Auntie Lynne! I had NO IDEA that you read my blog. That’s so cool. I agree with you about the color and how hard it is to read. I’m working on a redesign right now with Brian. On the parenting front, I can assure you that I strongly believe in doing what you say and offering consequences with kids. That seems to come pretty easy for me. It’s the incessant talking that drives me crazy!!! Oh and the fighting with brother! Oh and the constant interruptions when I think I can just sit down for 5 minutes! Oh and the…. :) Love to you too!

10. Sonora
    March 29, 2010 | 8:24 am

What a beautiful post. I love your honesty. It is refreshing to read a post from someone who knows who they are and are comfortable with it. That is what I am trying to achieve as I am working on myself and my blog has helped me do some of that.
    I had a somewhat different experience (although I can totally relate to the struggle to adjust after my first was born. For awhile I thought, What did I do?) so it is interesting to hear another perspective. It is hard to be a SAHM but it is also so rewarding. I am so glad you have had the opportunity. It sounds like you are a wonderful mother. There is no one right way to do it. The only right way is what works for you and your family.

11. Jen Hibbits
    April 2, 2010 | 3:02 pm

Thanks Sonora for your kind words and empathy. I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment. I hope you come and visit again. I look forward to checking out your site as well.

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://notjustanotherjen.com/2010/01/for-the-love-of-you-booger-breath/trackback/

for the love of you, booger breath

January 27, 2010 | 8:55 am

4. Jen Hibbits
    January 27, 2010 | 8:59 am

Thanks Chris! I love that you read my blog. xoxo

5. steph
    January 27, 2010 | 1:52 pm

ditto…what jen marcum said!!!

6. Jackie Davis Lohn
    January 27, 2010 | 9:44 pm

7. lola
    February 24, 2010 | 8:14 pm

8. Lynne Illsley
    March 17, 2010 | 5:49 am

Hi Jen,

Love Lynne

9. Jen Hibbits
    March 17, 2010 | 7:27 am

10. Sonora
    March 29, 2010 | 8:24 am

11. Jen Hibbits
    April 2, 2010 | 3:02 pm

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?