tasty tuesdays: avocado fries

Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto (Sunset - April 2009)

These are a hit whenever I do them.  They shall not fail you.  They haven’t failed me.

I think it’s simply the novelty and the decadence of the world most perfect food.  I’m talking about Avocado Fries.  That’s right, people.  Doesn’t that sound divine?

I originally found avocado fries in the Sunset Best Recipes 2010 magazine.  It can also be found at MyRecipes.com here.  If you’re not familiar with MyRecipes, you should be.  It’s the clearinghouse of recipes from favorite magazines like Sunset, Cooking Light, Coastal Living, Real Simple and Southern Living to name a few.  Good stuff!

I’ve re-written the recipe here and my changes are in [brackets].  Enjoy!

Avocado Fries

Serves 6 [well, maybe more if everyone only has 2, but that’s next to impossible]

Time 30 minutes [It always ends up taking me 45 minutes.  I’m slow and not well coordinated]

Canola oil for frying [probably your entire bottle]

¼ cup flour

About ¼ tsp kosher salt [I love sea salt.]

2 large eggs, beaten to blend

1¼ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) [and yes, even if you live in Tennessee, you can probably find panko.  Look in the international food section.  And not that I have anything against Tennessee, it’s just very far and very Southern from here.]

2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into ½-inch wedges [Please tell me that you’ve sliced avocados before.]

1.  Preheat oven to 200-degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat 1½ in. oil until it registers 375-degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.  [Yeah.  I don’t follow directions well and I don’t have a deep-fry thermometer.  I don’t fry a whole lot to justify getting another darn gadget in my drawer.  I also fry the avocados in a large straight side skillet.  That may be why I use so much darn canola oil.  I’ll try the saucepan next time.  I put them in when the oil looks hot.  If you put your hand above the pan and it’s hot, then the oil is probably hot.  And don’t go crazy.  This is oil you’re messing with.  Be careful.]

2. Meanwhile, mix flour with ¼ tsp salt in a shallow plate.  Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates.  Dip avocado slices in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, then in panko to coat.  Set on 2 plates in a single layer.  [Or if you’re generally running late on having all the food out when party guests arrive like I am, have one person coat and one person fry.  You usually can get 6 in one of those larger pans that I mentioned and you can move a bit faster.]

3. Fry a quarter of avocado slices at a time until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds [Depending how hot your oil is, just look for the color you would want to eat your fries.]  Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels.  Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados.  Sprinkle with salt to taste. [Yeah, I never put them in the oven, I just put them on the table because most the time, people are walking by and stealing them before I get them on the table!]

This is a great party appetizer and sits well next to the standard chips and salsa.  Consider this off the beaten guacamole path.  Enjoy with a margarita.  Cheers friends!

15 Responses to tasty tuesdays: avocado fries
  1. Justin
    August 24, 2010 | 2:19 pm

These sound delicious, I think they will be attending my next party.

2. Michelle @ One Crafty Mama
    August 24, 2010 | 3:25 pm

Oh my goodness these avocado fries look delish. This is going to be on my must try list once my kitchen remodel is done.

Thanks for sharing!

3. jenH
    August 24, 2010 | 3:48 pm

@Michelle & @Justin – You’ll LOVE ‘em. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Cheers!

4. theresa @rockonmommies
    August 24, 2010 | 4:31 pm

Have you tried portabello fries? YUMMY!! Pretty much the exact same way you prepared these.

5. jenH
    August 24, 2010 | 4:48 pm

If only I liked mushrooms. It’s fungi. I never got over that. I know. I’m weird. I’ve been told 1000 times. Thanks for commenting! Cheers!

6. Amanda
    August 24, 2010 | 6:08 pm

I may have to try these…they sound awesome.

7. Erin @ Making Memories
    August 24, 2010 | 8:41 pm

OH. MY. HECK! This sounds absolutely to die for!!! I love avacados and anythign deep fried is tops with me! I can’t wait to try this!

8. Christine Leppones
    August 25, 2010 | 4:46 pm

Oh my! I’m a fried Oreo girl, myself, but can easily adapt to avocado fries. Thanks for the recipe!

9. SnoWhite
    August 26, 2010 | 7:53 pm

Wow — what a fun snack!

10. Andrea the Kitchen Witch
    August 27, 2010 | 7:59 am

This is officially the ultimate in decadence :) Fried avocado? Sign me up!!! YUM!

11. tri-pepper salad | Not Just Another Jen
    August 31, 2010 | 7:03 am

[...] recently set this salad out along side the Avocado Fries that I posted about last week.  I think it goes really well with the typical chips, salsa and [...]

12. Lessons in Life and Light
    September 2, 2010 | 8:35 am

Holy crap, those sound amazing!

13. jenH
    September 2, 2010 | 8:57 am

Oh they are! Enjoy!

14. Red Lotus Mama
    September 6, 2010 | 6:57 pm

Showing this to my mom RIGHT NOW! We eat an avocado every day in this house. My dad can’t get enough of them. We even give some to the puppy to keep her coat oily and silky. Will these be at happy hour? *wink*

15. jenH
    September 7, 2010 | 12:44 pm

@ Red Lotus Mama – is that a special request?

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://notjustanotherjen.com/2010/08/avocado-fries/trackback/

tasty tuesdays: avocado fries

Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto (Sunset - April 2009)

I’ve re-written the recipe here and my changes are in [brackets].  Enjoy!

Avocado Fries

Canola oil for frying [probably your entire bottle]

¼ cup flour

About ¼ tsp kosher salt [I love sea salt.]

2 large eggs, beaten to blend

15 Responses to tasty tuesdays: avocado fries
  1. Justin
    August 24, 2010 | 2:19 pm

These sound delicious, I think they will be attending my next party.

2. Michelle @ One Crafty Mama
    August 24, 2010 | 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing!

3. jenH
    August 24, 2010 | 3:48 pm

4. theresa @rockonmommies
    August 24, 2010 | 4:31 pm

5. jenH
    August 24, 2010 | 4:48 pm

6. Amanda
    August 24, 2010 | 6:08 pm

I may have to try these…they sound awesome.

7. Erin @ Making Memories
    August 24, 2010 | 8:41 pm

8. Christine Leppones
    August 25, 2010 | 4:46 pm

9. SnoWhite
    August 26, 2010 | 7:53 pm

Wow — what a fun snack!

10. Andrea the Kitchen Witch
    August 27, 2010 | 7:59 am

11. tri-pepper salad | Not Just Another Jen
    August 31, 2010 | 7:03 am

12. Lessons in Life and Light
    September 2, 2010 | 8:35 am

Holy crap, those sound amazing!

13. jenH
    September 2, 2010 | 8:57 am

Oh they are! Enjoy!

14. Red Lotus Mama
    September 6, 2010 | 6:57 pm

15. jenH
    September 7, 2010 | 12:44 pm

@ Red Lotus Mama – is that a special request?

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://notjustanotherjen.com/2010/08/avocado-fries/trackback/